Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Someday to be Famous Scat Singing Kiddo and Other Successful Teacher Moments This Week!

Sometimes it's just so good to laugh. Especially in those moments when my kids make me laugh...and then I can't stop...and they don't know what I'm really laughing at, but they start laughing too...and we all just kind of fall to the floor and lay on our music carpet until the giggles stop! haha :) It's times like those that sometimes make my day or week.

So what were we giggling about?

Well, we've been singing a song called "Ten Big Pumpkins" this month and it has a kind of jazzy feel. There is a little part in between a couple of verses that goes, "Ba da ba da ba da wah wah wah wah, ba da ba da ba da wah, wah waaah...." and I heard one little voice just singing away when it came up. So this week I'd kind of forgotten about it, when all of the sudden we're singing it again, and the little guy starts belting it out! I just had to look at him and giggle...it was TOO cute! Later when one of the girls was humming that part of the tune, he quickly corrected her and said, "No, you gotta do this..." and proceeded to sing the scat part again exactly how it goes. I wish I could put a recording of the song on this blog. If you really want to hear what he was singing go to www.musick8.com and type "Ten Big Pumpkins" in the song search box! :) Then picture a little kindergarten guy singing his heart out! I think one day he'll be a famous jazz scat singer, and he can say he got his start in Ms. W's music room! Yep, I'm sure of it! haha

I also have to say I'm amazed at how enthusiasm can sometimes change the entire setting of a class. I admit sometimes I have trouble with my older kids because I just "don't know what to do" with them. I don't want them to be bored, but I don't know what they like (which isn't a lot right now because they are on their way to middle school soon...ha) But anyway, last week I just had the idea to let them choose. To present some things we were going to do in class that day and let them vote on what the order would be. And you know what? They liked that. They had some ownership, and we made it through and even had a little fun. Then today we started another activity where they had to listen to a story (which usually seems "too young" to them) and they actually listened because I told them we were going to do something similar to the story and add sound effects using instruments to our own. I felt like I had a break through...at least for a few days! :)

Just a couple of fun moments from my week to help me remember and keep going when the going gets tough! Thank you God for little moments of success and joy to help me see I'm really doing my best at what you've called me to do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment