Friday, December 25, 2009

Sharin' the Love of Jesus...


Tomorrow I leave on a trip to Piedras Negras, Mexico!

A team of 48 people from Westside Baptist Church will hop on a charter bus with a mission: We're takin' the love of Jesus to the people of Mexico!

If you know me, you know that God has given me a passion for missions and a heart to share His joy around the world. The first time I remember having the urge to go was in high school when our church hosted a missions fair. There were missionaries from all over the country and the world, but one couple serving in Scotland told the story of unreached kids there, and I suddenly felt a sense of urgency. The people there (and around the world) needed to know. They needed to hear the story of a Savior who was sent as a baby to grow into a King and eventually sacrifice Himself on the cross for our sins.

In college I still felt the urge to go, but it wasn't until my Junior year that I felt God providing an opportunity for me to serve overseas! He put a special spot in my heart for the continent of Africa, and that year our campus ministries group took a team to Senegal, West Africa. Here are some pictures from that trip!



















Then, a year later, my church in college took a mission trip to the Amazon region of Brazil! I felt God providing another opportunity for me to go, and I signed up to be a part of the team. In both instances it was so awesome to see how God provided perfectly in His own ways through prayers, encouragement, and financial support. In Brazil we took a boat down the Amazon River then branched off onto other small rivers. It took 48 hours to get to the first village we would share with. We met groups of Indian nations that had not ever been reached by outsiders before! During those 10 days many people opened their hearts to receive the same gift that we had been led there to share. There were baptisms on a beach where just 40 years before, head hunters had made sacrifices. We slept in hammocks on the boat each night and got off to work in the villages each day. We visited four communities during our 10 days. God was so present there, and my heart grew even more passionate about missions.

I love to travel. And I love to meet people from all over the world. And most of all, I love showing them that Jesus gives joy. I may not be able to speak their languages, but it's amazing the ways God can use a person who is ready and willing to go.

So tomorrow I'm leavin' the country and takin' the love of Jesus with me to share with everyone I meet! I can't wait to share pictures and stories when I get back, but here are a few of the things we'll be doing:

VBS in the mornings.....
Sports evangelism in the afternoons...

Door to door street evangelism every day using the "evangicube"
And a team will be working together to build onto a Christian school there...

Please pray for us as we travel and work December 26-January 1.
I'm so excited to see what God has in store for our team and for me as I serve Him and share His joy with others around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment