Thursday, May 27, 2010

Well...the big day is almost here! Four days away to be exact....until I turn 25! (Well, three now, since I'm up super late and writing this post...it's already Thursday now!) I've had fun finding little things in my days to celebrate all month, though I've kind of fallen behind in recording them on here, but it's been a fun month anyway!

This Birthday Week - Tuesday's celebration was visiting with friends from Arkansas and participating in the Weight Watchers 5K Walk-It Challenge. Today I went shopping in St. Louis and spent as much time as I wanted in each store, looking at EVERYthing I wanted to. I even bought a few (too many) things (in smaller sizes)! Then I drove home the long way, rolled the windows down, and stopped to take pictures of the clouds and the wild flowers. Tomorrow I am getting a pedicure, just for fun, then meeting my super friend from high school, Rachel, to hang out.


I have so many things going through my mind to write about. But I want to share something a man spoke about at church tonight. The focus was on being Christian soldiers (which has a double meaning for many of the men and women in our community...), but the real focus was on putting on our armor each day and trusting God to take us and use us. He shared from David's story as he faced Goliath, and pointed out that one of the leaders tried to suit David up in armor that wasn't his. David felt uncomfortable and unable to move effectively and took off the armor. He RAN to FACE Goliath instead of backing away, trusting God to fully protect him.


How often does God give us something to do, and instead of "running toward it" we back away or scatter? We sometimes avoid the unseen because we are afraid. We also try to put on someone else's armor, and wear it, even though it doesn't fit. David chose to take off the armor and be suited as God had planned for him to be. We are each unique in how God has made us and created us to work in the world.


As I was reading tonight in 1 Corinthians, these verses stuck out to me. They don't directly relate to what I've been sharing, but also challenged me to think.

"So my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless." 1 Cor. 15:48

"Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love." 1 Cor. 16:13


If I could think of one word right now to describe how I'm feeling it is "uncomfortable." Not in a negative way, but in such a way as a body of water with waves that are really moving. In a way that I know God is working right now, and I can't see what is going to happen and what the outcome is going to be, and that makes me a little nervous. In a way that challenges my faith like it has never been challenged before, and pushes me to grow in my walk and to truly seek God and His direction each day. I know He is in charge of the waves, and if I just keep my eyes on Him, He will be faithful in walking me across the moving water. I know that having faith means trusting when you CAN'T see what is to come.


The last picture isn't very pretty...but it reminds me of the hope we have in Christ. Our old lives are gone, and new life will come in Him. When we die, our old bodies are buried, but we will receive new life and will spend an eternity with our Creator! The tree may seem kind of "dull and dead" to the world...but look at all the green around it. Look at the flowers in the other pictures. Look at the beautiful clouds in the sky. All of those are the workmanship of our God. And if he cares so much about these things, imagine how much more he cares about you and me!

Thank you God for working in me and challenging me in a way that is taking me outside my comfort zone. I trust you to continue working, even though I have no idea what is in store. I commit to seeking you each day and working hard to put on my armor and face the giants that you put before me. I will wear my armor that you have given me and not try to "fit into" someone else's. You are an amazing God who never ceases in loving and caring for His children. I love you, Lord!

1 comment:

  1. what a powerful post! it's very helpful to me right now with my job situations, too, as i know it is yours. and i like the last picture:)

    ReplyDelete