Thursday, February 9, 2012

Shy...Who Me?

If I had a dollar for every time I was labeled "shy," "bashful," or some other similar word...I might be a slightly rich woman.

Oh yes. I, myself admit that I probably am "shy." I guess, like most people, it varies by setting. Obviously with family and friends I can talk until the sun goes down...and comes back up again! haha And I can certainly be pretty goofy. (Just ask my fabulous older sis about the "laugh-cry") In a group of people, once I get to know one or two, I am comfortable.

I used to not (and still sometimes don't...) approach people because I think, naturally they won't want to talk to me. I'm quiet and awkward. Years of experience have led me a little more to the far-side of this opinion, but still...it happens. Or I think people are busy, or they don't need to hear what I say.

So - I feel like a lot of people don't get to know the real me. Being shy isn't always about "not talking" to others. Sometimes it is about not being able to show who you really are, although showing that often comes through conversation. I bet there are a lot of people in the world who would be surprised to know that I once went alligator hunting on the Amazon River (nor do they know when I have an exciting opportunity, I'm not gonna pass it up!) I know most people never guess that I was (and will always be!) a drum girl. I could carry and play those drums as loud and proud as almost anyone. (I always said that's how I yelled.) Most people don't know that I've traveled around the world to seven countries. No one would ever guess that I enjoy singing in public places (especially church) and that I actually like speaking in groups (like sharing at faculty meetings/trainings.) And....well, there are lots of other things.

Though I've come a long way since my pre-adult years, I still feel like people think I'm "weird" or when they see me at work, because I'm a little afraid to talk to them. Maybe I just need to get over that and start talking to people. Sounds pretty simple, huh?

I think I am bold in different ways than other people. I take risks. I try to show my faith in what I do and say everyday, and love and serve others. I write...a lot. I sing. I drum. I teach in front of some of the toughest, sometimes very honest (like yesterday!) audiences...kids!

Oh, I don't know. Shy. Who me?

1 comment:

  1. I used to be incredibly shy. Once I got my first job and was forced to talk to strangers all day I grew out of it. I do still get nervous when I'm going to spend time with a group of people I don't know.

    ReplyDelete